Monday, April 1, 2013

A Monumental Monday

The day has come to retire the soils that are no longer producing. Our last germination was over a month ago and it is safe to say the soil is out of viable seed. There are still quiet a few plants to be identified and some healthy trays of moss I can't bring myself to toss but we have gone from two tables of trays to under half a table... It'd be a sad day if I was tossing anything but trays and trays of BROME!!!! Here's how it went.
Once there was a forest of sonoran annuals...

..but one weedy grass setting seed put a stop to all the fun.
Thats right, a tray of nothing but brome... and to no ones surprise it is from Browns Ranch!

That's right Sisymbrium, you must go as well.

Don't feel too bad though, most of the plants like these are at the end of their life anyhow.


And this beautiful hairy burstwort impressed me so much I am pressing it to live on forever in the SCC hebarium.

No guilt here, we got nothing but yuck from the soil.


Another Sisymbrium too big for her pot

Red maids, one of my favorite of the annuals however this one never seems to have open flowers when I am around, perhaps she is camera shy.

And of course, the abundant schismus must also leave the greenhouse.

Here is what we are left with. 
And for anyone worried about the perennials we sprouted...

...don't worry! They have been given ample room to grow and I will find them all happy new homes...  thats 11 shrubs, mix of bursage and brittle bush.



The End for a few but its not over yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment